Dr Madeleine Adams
Eye care – about you
Dr Madeleine Adams is an experienced ophthalmologist specialising in cataract and lens surgery, providing custom vision corrections to best suit your eyes and your lifestyle.
- Cataract surgery with trifocal or extended vision intraocular lenses
- Cataract surgery following previous laser vision correction
- Cataract surgery with astigmatism correcting lenses
- Treatment of presbyopia (loss of near vision with age)
- Secondary multifocal IOLs to achieve near vision (for patients who have had previous cataract surgery elsewhere)
- ICL implantation
Dr Adams also takes care of all aspects of general ophthalmology including glaucoma, pterygium surgery, lid surgeries, and injections for Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) or other retinal issues.
Eye care – about elsewhere
Dr Adams completed general ophthalmology training in Queensland and then undertook fellowships in Australia and overseas. She worked for the Fred Hollows Foundation as a clinical fellow in Central Australia and Nepal, and undertook a Medical Retina Fellowship at the Lions Eye Institute in Western Australia. Dr Adams has also worked at the Bristol Eye Hospital in the UK, the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital in Melbourne and has performed outreach work in central Queensland and Nepal.
Eye care – about research
Dr Adams was awarded a PhD by the University of Melbourne for her research into eye age-related macular degeneration. She has numerous publications including a book chapter on the Genetics of Retinal Disease, and has presented at national and international conferences. Her research has been featured by the media including the Daily Mail and the Wall Street Journal. She enjoys providing regular educational programs for optometrists and doctors. Dr Adams acts as a reviewer for peer-reviewed journals; she contributes to educational podcasts, publications and events as a speaker.
Dr Adams, recently wrote in MiVision, providing an update on refractive cataract surgery, focusing on some of the newer presbyopia correcting intraocular lenses (IOLs) available in Australia. Click to see here.
Eye care – professional memberships
Dr Adams is a fellow of the Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmology. She is a member of the:
- Refractive Surgery Alliance
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ASCRS)
- Australasian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (AUSCRS)
- Australian Society of Ophthalmologists
MB ChB BSc (Hons) PhD (Melb) FRANZCO
Dr Madeleine Adams with Dr Malita Shrestha and Dr Sanduk Ruit, internationally recognised cataract surgeon, in front of the patients who have had cataract surgery at a cataract camp in regional Nepal.